Thursday, August 30, 2007

SAVE ME.. ERR. BETTER SAVE HER



Everyone's feasting right now, on the article "From Boracay to Greece" that was published at the Manila Standard and the June issue of People Asia magazine.

And as every feast goes, there's definitely a pig in the middle of it, in this case, it's Malu Fernandez, literally, and figuratively a pig. She lambasted every OFW with her sarcastic remarks and demeaning obvservations like the excerpts here:


To save on my ticket, I bravely took an economy class seat on Emirates as recommended by my travel agent. Ron excitedly told me to go for it - Emirates had won best economy class and some award. However I forgot that the hub was in Dubai and the majority of the OFWs (overseas Filipino workers) were stationed there. The duty-free shop was overrun with Filipino workers selling cell phones and perfume. Meanwhile, I wanted to slash my wrist at the thought of being trapped in a plane with all of them.

While I was on the plane (where the seats were so small I had bruises on my legs), my only consolation was the entertainment on the small flat screen in front of me. But it was busted so I heaved a sigh, popped my sleeping pills and dozed off to the sounds of gum chewing and endless yelling of “HOY! Kamusta ka na? At taga saan ka? Domestic helper ka rin ba?” Translation: “Hey there? Where are you from? Are you a domestic helper as well?” I thought I had died and God sent me to my very own private hell.

…. On my way back, I had to bravely take the economy flight once more. This time I had already resigned myself to being trapped like a sardine in a sardine can with all these OFWs smelling of AXE and Charlie cologne while my Jo Malone evaporated into thin air.

As expected, people are so furious, and bloods rose up to this infuriating article of this woman who sees herself so high.

Here's my two cents worth about the article:

Let's not be inconsistent in saying that all that she stated were opinions. Some, and I repeat, SOME facts are true. Let's give the props to her. But, haven't she learned the lesson? Never ever underestimate the power of the Filipino crowd.

I remember when Claire Danes went to shoot in the Philippines sometime in the mid-90's, she called our place [specifically Manila] as "dirty and home for cockroaches." Back then, people snubbed the movie she shot and boycotted her. Well, up until now, she's still a stranger to the Filipino masa.

Danes' comment, though demeaning, was passable. She was a foreigner who's going to the Philippines was a part of her job. But still, Charlie Sheen, and Josh Hartnett did not mention the same comments.

On the other hand, Fernandez shot herself on the foot when she said those nasty comments. After all, she was a Filipino herself. She must be familiar with our culture... or not. maybe she's too busy choosing what dress to wear, what perfume to put, or what food to eat, that she forgot that she's also a Filipino.

As much as possible, I try to think if it's fair to call her a "pig" or a "bitch" because after criticizing her about what she did, it will be pretty much ironic that I'll do the same for her. Because if that was the case, then I should have no basis of starting this post at all.

As someone, who has relatives working as OFWs, this is really a below the belt comment. Truth does really hurt, but in this case, no. What hurts more is the fact that Filipino mentalities are still still prevalent, whether rich or poor, educated or not. She could have had kept the comments herself, but to share it to every Filipino? Damn, seems like soemone forogt to taught her the rules.

There's nothing wrong about being open-minded, especially, we are in a democratic country. That's primarily the meaning of democracy. But what really is she against to the poor people? Oppression of the poor is something so natural and has been a part of our culture already. Such people [poor ones] have already been deprived of material richness that they don't need moral or social degradation anymore. Remember how Filipino people always love the underdogs?

Last thing I heard, she resigned already. She received lots of death threats and was forced to resign from writing. But before that, she released a follow up article explaining that it was all an acerbic wit. It was even entitled "Am I just a diva or people are just lacking common sense?" To which my response was yes, you are so much of a diva, and an ACERBIC TWIT for that matter, and no. WE are not lacking in common sense. Someone better save this woman from drowning to her Jo Malone perfume or better wish that she was the one who evaporated into thin air.

This was her final statemt regarding the issue:

I am humbled by the vehement and heated response provoked by my article entitled 'From Boracay to Greece!' which came out in the June 2007 issue of People Asia. To say that this article was not meant to malign, hurt or express prejudice against the OFWs now sounds hollow after reading through all the blogs from Filipinos all over the world. I am deeply apologetic for my insensitivity and the offensive manner in which this article was written, I hear you all and I am properly rebuked. It was truly not my intention to malign hurt or express prejudice against OFWs.

As the recent recipient and target of death threats, hate blogs, and deeply personal insults, I now truly understand the insidiousness of discrimination and prejudice disguised as humor. Our society is bound together by human chains of kindness and decency. I have failed to observe this and I am now reaping the consequences of my actions. It is my fervent hope that the lessons that Ive learned are not lost on all those who through anonymous blogs, engaged in bigotry, discrimination, and hatred ( against overweight individuals , for example )

I take full responsibility for my actions and my friends and family have nothing to do with this. To date I have submitted my resignation letters to both the Manila Standard and People Asia, on that note may this matter be laid to rest.

Well, now I'm pretty sure that she learned her lesson. So much that she'll get an A for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.